Monday, June 18, 2018

My God Starts with a Big "G"


Annie’s Ink-Lings




Good afternoon all you lovely people!

Just came in from planting some more perennial flowers.  They are blooming now and will for the rest of the summer.  And wonders of wonders, they will come back and bloom again next year, and the next year, and the - well you get the idea.  It reminds me of how God's written word blooms over and over again in my heart.  Today I'm sharing with you an illustration I did on Exodus 20:2-4, verses from the Ten Commandments.

This illustration was done Sunday afternoon after I had spent some time reflecting on the morning sermon and the sermon from the Sunday before.  Exodus 20:2-3: I am the Lord your God . . . you shall have no other god but me; and Exodus 20:4: You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind . . . .  NLT

My pastor explained that we should have only one God in our life that starts with a capital "G," and there is only one capital "G" God.  All other gods start with a little "g" and they are otherwise known as idols.  So what constitutes an idol?  Martin Luther considered idols to be anything on which your heart relies and depends, other than God.  We should have none of the little "g" gods in our life.  My meditation ended with giving myself an idol check-up to see what I needed to tear down and throw out of my life.  I only want the one and only God that starts with a big "G!"

I pray that my illustration is meaningful to you.

 Blessings, 

Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment